We have a work experience student from Queen Elizabeth School, Kirkby Lonsdale this week. We asked him what he thought the benefits of coming on work experience are!
I've found my time at FMB to be really helpful, it's a good example of an office work environment. So my top 7 benefits are:-
- Being out of your comfort zone and in an unfamiliar environment is a challenge but adapting quickly is a really useful skill to learn.
- We learn so much at school but it’s good to be able to use my knowledge and skills in a real life situation.
- Working in a professional environment I have been thinking about my appearance and making a good first impression. It’s really important to think about appropriate clothing for the job you are doing.
- Some tasks are really interesting and enjoyable, others less so but they all have to be done and contribute to the smooth running of the business. You have to take the rough with the smooth.
- In the workplace, you have to have a high degree of independence and get on with tasks yourself, but it’s important to ask if you are not sure as that is the only way you will learn.
- Adapting from a school day of 5 working hours to a nine to five office environment has been tough, but helpful to see how it will be when I go into the world of work. It won’t be such a shock!
- The year 10 work experience scheme is a good preparation for the future. It’s a useful way to discover what kind of jobs are available so you see if you would enjoy or be good at something.
Next year I will complete my GCSE's and then see what the future holds depending on my grades, this has been really useful and will be great to add to my CV.